(Updated on November 21, 2022)
Impact wrenches (or impact guns) are incredibly versatile tools that can be used in a wide range of applications. They are particularly useful for loosening and tightening nuts and bolts, and they can be used with impact sockets of different sizes to provide more torque.
Cordless impact wrenches are even more versatile, as they can be used in tight spaces and don’t require an air compressor. As technology has evolved, newer cordless models actually have more torque than their pneumatic counterparts. Overall, cordless impact wrenches offer a number of advantages and should be considered for any home mechanic.
Here are some of the best cordless impact wrenches on the market today:
Top 8 Cordless Impact Wrenches For Automotive Work
To help you get started, we have compiled a list of the top 10 best cordless impact wrench for the automotive industry.
1) DeWALT DCF899HB
- 1/2 inch cordless impact wrench has up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway...
- DEWALT 1/2 inch impact wrench has a compact design of 8-13/16-inch length
- Multi-speed control of the battery-powered impact wrench is made for a variety of applications...
- 1/2-inch Anvil with hog ring (also available in detent pin)
The DeWALT DCF899HB 20-volt cordless impact wrench has a brushless motor and 0.5-inch anvil. This combination gives the wrench the ability to produce as much as 700 pound-feet of torque. Another great thing about this impact wrench is that it provides 1,900 RPM and 3 different speeds to choose from. That way, you will have easier control over the device. If you need to work in the dark, there is an LED work light included as well.
2) Milwaukee 2767-20
- Milwaukee M18 Impact Wrench
The Milwaukee 2767-20 impact wrench is built with a brushless motor that can provide a whopping 1000 pound-feet of torque if you change the setting to full. This is a very attractive and compact wrench (under 9 inches) because of its outer red color scheme with a white lightning bolt under its Milwaukee name. You would never guess that such a small impact wrench could be so powerful. The rubber overmold casing will add further protection and make the device more comfortable to hold.
3) Makita XWT11Z
- BL brushless motor delivers 520 ft.lbs. of fastening torque and 740 ft.lbs. of nut-busting torque
- "Compact and ergonomic design at only 6-11/16" long"
- 4-speed power selection switch (0-500 / 0-1,200 / 0-1,900 / 0-2,200 rpm and 0-1,000 / 0-1,700 /...
- 3 forward and 3 reverse auto-stop modes for increased efficiency
The Makita XWT11Z is only about 5 inches and under 3 pounds. This might seem very small for a cordless impact wrench, but it allows the device to fit into small or tight areas. There are 3 different speeds to choose from for this wrench with a brushless engine. It will give you 210 pound-feet of torque. This might not seem like a lot of power, but you must remember how small the device is too. Chances are that you won’t need more power for such tight spaces.
4) Porter-Cable PCC740B
- Powerful motor produces 330ft/lbs of torque for heavy applications
- Maximum of 1,650 rpm's for driving large fasteners quickly
- 1/2" hog ring for quick and easy socket changes
- Full variable speed trigger for precision control
The Porter-Cable PCC740B doesn’t come with a brushless motor, but it still has a very powerful motor. It can produce as much as 310 pound-feet of torque and up to 1,650 RPM. Chemical erosion will not affect the device either because it is designed to be resistant to it. This device weighs 5 pounds and is 10 inches long, making it a pretty big impact wrench. The best part may actually be its price. If you’re on a budget, then give it a shot!
5) Ryobi P1833
- Produces up to 3,200 impacts per minute
- Includes: Impact Wrench, (1) 4.0 Ah Battery and 18-Volt Charger
- Compatible with all batteries in the RYOBI 18-Volt ONEplus System
- Battery: Outperforms and outlasts Ni-Cd batteries while weighing less
The Ryobi P1833 3 Speed Impact Wrench is designed to be small but effective. It has an 18-volt motor which can produce as much as 300 pound-feet of torque. This should be enough power for most car needs. It also has 3,200 Impacts Per Minute (IPM), making it very strong. You’ll notice its power back is particularly strong, giving you a maximum of 4-amp hours. The impact wrench is a good investment if you require this tool regularly.
6) DeWALT DC820B
- DeWalt DC820B 1/2 Inch 18V Cordless Impact Wrench - Bare Tool Only - Battery and Charger Sold...
- 1,740 in-lbs of torque
- 0-2,400 rpm/0-2,700 ipm
- May not be in retail packaging
The DeWALT DC820B is another small cordless impact wrench which only weighs 2.3 pounds and is 5.75 inches long. At this small size, it can fit into tight spaces like you would expect. But, of course, it doesn’t have as much power as the bigger impact wrenches because it only produces 145 pound-feet of torque. The wrench does operate quickly, though, because of its 2,700 IPM and 2,400 RPM. The handle comes coated with a texture which is supposed to prevent hand slippage.
7) Bosch IDH182-02 Brushless Impact Charger Kit
- Versatile: The Bosch IDH182 02 18V Brushless 1/4 inch And 1/2 inch socket ready impact driver allows...
- Efficient: The driver is powered by an EC Brushless motor that provides up to 2x the motor life,...
- Longevity: The Bosch electronic motor and cell protection helps prevent overheating and overloading...
- Variable speed: featuring the performance control system which allows users to select between 3...
With the Bosch IDH182-02 Brushless Impact Charger Kit, you are getting a lot for your money. The kit comes with 2 battery packs and each battery is 2.0ah. This means the battery can produce power for extended time periods. The construction is good quality, but the size is rather small. You will only get 137.5 pound-feet of torque from it. The socket compatibility includes both 0.5-inch or 0.25-inch sockets.
8) Craftsman V20* Impact Wrench Kit
- 1/2in. Cordless impact wrench
- Hog ring anvil for easy socket changes
- Max 350 ft Lbs. Torque and 2, 500 ipms for removing larger fasteners quickly
- Max 1, 700 RPMs with variable speed trigger for added control
Looking for an impact wrench that can handle even the toughest jobs? Check out the CRAFTSMAN V20* Impact Wrench Kit. This powerful tool delivers up to 350 ft-lbs of torque, making it ideal for loosening lug nuts or bolts, and other fasteners. The kit also comes with a battery and charger, so you can get started right away. Plus, the compact design makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.