10 Best Spark Plugs for Performance and Gas Mileage for Your Car
Spark plugs are associated with the ignition system of a vehicle. They create the electric spark which ignites the air and fuel mixture in the internal combustion chamber of the engine. Without this spark, there would be no combustion in the chamber. Then you wouldn’t be able to drive your vehicle because the engine cannot generate any power to move the wheels. For this reason, the spark plugs are vital components of the engine’s performance. They always need to be fully functional to operate the vehicle.
Engines have multiple cylinders where the combustion process takes place. Each cylinder has its own spark plug for the ignition of its air and fuel mixture. Sometimes there are situations where one spark plug might fail, resulting in that cylinder failing to ignite. This doesn’t necessarily mean the entire vehicle will stop working, but it will certainly reduce the amount of engine power that is generated. You’ll notice things like weaker acceleration and engine stalling as you’re driving. That is why you need to make sure that all your spark plugs are working properly.
When most people shop for spark plugs, they assume that all spark plugs are the same. The truth is there are different types of spark plugs available. You can always tell the quality of a spark plug by its price and the material it is made from. This will go a long way in getting the best performance you can out of your engine. Not only that, but it will also give you more gas mileage too. Remember that when the combustion goes well, the engine has an easier time of generating power. This means less demand for more power and fuel. So, choose spark plugs that will assist in giving your vehicle the best combustion possible.
Top Best 10 Spark Plugs
There are copper spark plugs, single platinum spark plugs, double platinum spark plugs, and iridium spark plugs. You might assume that iridium and double platinum are always the better choices, but not in all situations. The type of engine in your car and the manufacturer of the spark plugs are also things to consider.
Below are the top 10 spark plugs for providing better engine performance and gas mileage in a car.
1) Autolite HT15 Platinum High Thread Spark Plug – This Autolite spark plug model is used a lot in Ford vehicles. Its construction is solid steel with a tip made of platinum. If you have a 3-valve motor that is either 4.6L, 6.8L, or 5.4L, then this is the best spark plug for it. Consider having an expert mechanic replace the spark plug because the job might be too difficult for an amateur.
2) Motorcraft SP-515 Spark Plug – If you require spark plugs that are already calibrated and easy to install, then consider the Motorcraft SP-515 spark plug. But like the previous spark plug listed, the SP-515 is designed for Ford vehicles too. However, this doesn’t mean all Ford vehicles will be compatible with it. Check to make sure yours is.
3) Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP Spark Plug – This is a versatile spark plug that is compatible with numerous engines from different makes and models. Under the proper specifications, you can use this spark plug with makes like BMW, Toyota, Honda, and Mitsubishi. The Bosch 4417 has ground electrodes that are enhanced with Yttrium. This allows it to reach the air and fuel mixture within the cylinder more easily, resulting in a good combustion.
4) NGK 3403 G-Power Platinum Alloy Spark Plug – The NGK 3403 is very economical as far as spark plugs go. At the same time, it will increase your fuel economy considerably. You may need to calibrate the spark plug a little bit prior to installation.
5) NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug – The platinum alloy “G-power” of this spark plug can provide your engine with better fuel efficiency and performance. There is no factory gap with the spark plug, so you will need to set it to your vehicle’s gap.
6) Denso (4504) PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug – The Denso PK20TT gives you a lot of conveniences. This spark plug is already factory gapped, so you don’t need to do that. You should also have an easy time installing this spark plug too. You can pick one up for as little as $2.50.
7) NGK (5464) BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug – The iridium alloy of this spark plug gives it a greater melting point. This helps promote a healthy combustion in the cylinder and reduces the chance of erosion forming. Best of all, the spark plug is durable and should last a long time.
8) NGK (6418) BKR6EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug – This is another variation of the spark plug model that was previously listed. The only difference between them is their calibration because it makes them compatible with different cars. Also, this spark plug is factory gapped as well.
9) NGK 3403 NGK G-Power Platinum Spark Plug TR55GP – This is another great spark plug with G-power platinum. You can expect it to give you greater fuel efficiency, a smoother driving experience, and more power. Installation is simple, and the spark plug is already gapped.
10) NGK 6619 Iridium Spark Plugs LFR6AIX-11 – These are some of the best spark plugs around. They fit a wide range of vehicles, from BMW to Toyota. The NGK 6619 is durable, and they will make your engine performance better and more reliable. You won’t need to calibrate the spark plugs either.