(Updated on July 28, 2022)
Spark plugs are associated with the ignition system of a vehicle. They create the electric spark which ignites the air and fuel mixture in the internal combustion chamber of the engine. Without this spark, there would be no combustion in the chamber. Then you wouldn’t be able to drive your vehicle because the engine cannot generate any power to move the wheels.
For this reason, the spark plugs are vital components of the engine’s performance. They always need to be fully functional to operate the vehicle. Faulty spark plugs are the cause of many problems.
Engines have multiple cylinders where the combustion process takes place. Each cylinder has its own spark plug for the ignition of its air and fuel mixture. Sometimes there are situations where one spark plug might fail, resulting in that cylinder failing to ignite.
This doesn’t necessarily mean the entire vehicle will stop working, but it will certainly reduce the amount of engine power that is generated. You’ll notice things like weaker acceleration and engine stalling as you’re driving. That is why you need to make sure that all your spark plugs are working properly.
When most people shop for spark plugs, they assume that all spark plugs are the same. The truth is there are different types of spark plugs available. You can always tell the quality of a spark plug by its price and the material it is made from. This will go a long way in getting the best performance you can out of your engine.
Not only that, but it will also give you better gas mileage too. Remember that when the combustion goes well, the engine has an easier time of generating power. This means less demand for more power and fuel. So, choose spark plugs that will assist in giving your vehicle the best combustion possible.
Top 9 Spark Plugs For Horsepower and Gas Mileage
There are copper spark plugs, single platinum spark plugs, double platinum spark plugs, and iridium spark plugs. You might assume that iridium and double platinum are always the better choices, but not in all situations. The type of engine in your car and the manufacturer of the spark plugs are also things to consider.
Below are the top 9 spark plugs for providing better engine performance and gas mileage in a car.
1) Autolite HT15 Platinum High Thread Spark Plug
This Autolite spark plug model is used a lot in Ford vehicles. Its construction is solid steel with a tip made of platinum. If you have a 3-valve motor that is either 4.6L, 6.8L, or 5.4L, then this is the best spark plug for it. Consider having an expert mechanic replace the spark plug because the job might be too difficult for an amateur.
- Platinum fine wire tip provides improved fuel efficiency, lower emissions and improved horsepower...
- Package Dimensions: 10.668 H x 3.048 L x 9.652 W (centimetres)
- Package Weight: 0.202 kilograms
- Country of Origin : Mexico
See Also: Platinum vs Iridium Spark Plugs
2) Motorcraft SP-515 Spark Plug
If you require spark plugs that are already calibrated and easy to install, then consider the Motorcraft SP-515 spark plug. But like the previous spark plug listed, the SP-515 is designed for Ford vehicles too. However, this doesn’t mean all Ford vehicles will be compatible with it. Check to make sure yours is.
- Every single spark plug is inspected throughout the entire shipping process for worry free,...
- Designed with high quality materials to meet or exceed OEM Specifications.
- High melting point provides excellent resistance to erosion
- Provide service intervals from 60,000 to 100,000 miles
3) Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP Spark Plug
This is a versatile spark plug that is compatible with numerous engines from different makes and models. Under the proper specifications, you can use this spark plug with makes like BMW, Toyota, Honda, and Mitsubishi.
The Bosch 4417 has ground electrodes that are enhanced with Yttrium. This allows it to reach the air and fuel mixture within the cylinder more easily, resulting in a good combustion.
- Revolutionary surface air gap firing technology featuring four yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes...
- Four yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes provide optimum access to the air/fuel mixture for the most...
- Electrode gap is factory set to provide ease of installation - never requires adjustment
- Never requires gapping, the electrode gap is factory-set and never requires adjustment
4) Denso (4504) PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
The Denso PK20TT gives you a lot of conveniences. This spark plug is already factory gapped, so you don’t need to do that. You should also have an easy time installing this spark plug too. You can pick one up for only a few dollars.
- DENSOs revolutionary Twin-Tip design is a combination of highly durable precious metals-Platinum and...
- The center electrode is created using an extremely durable platinum alloy that allows for the...
- The Titanium-enhanced alloy on the ground electrode also increases durability, which is critical to...
- Superior ignitability of the DENSO Platinum TT means more efficient combustion, which yields better...
5) NGK 3403 TR55GP G-Power Platinum Spark Plug
The NGK 3403 is very economical as far as spark plugs go. At the same time, it will increase your fuel economy considerably. You may need to calibrate the spark plug a little bit prior to installation.
- Often specified as original equipment, NGK spark plugs are the best combination of performance and...
- Offering the Quality, Reliability and Durability You'd Expect from an OEM Manufacturer
- Research applications prior to purchase to make sure this part fits your vehicle including engine,...
- This Listing is for 8 3403 TR55 Spark Plugs
6) NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug
The platinum alloy “G-power” of this spark plug can provide your engine with better fuel efficiency and performance. There is no factory gap with the spark plug, so you will need to set it to your vehicle’s gap.
7) NGK (5464) BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
The iridium alloy of this spark plug gives it a greater melting point. This helps promote a healthy combustion in the cylinder and reduces the chance of erosion forming. Best of all, the spark plug is durable and should last a long time.
- Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast, Iridium IX offers extreme ignitability,...
- The 0.6 millimeter laser welded fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable...
- Longer insulator nose prevents fouling, the corrugated ribs on insulator prevents flashover, and a...
- Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, giving it high durability to heat and electrical...
8) NGK (6418) BKR6EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug
This is another variation of the spark plug model that was previously listed. The only difference between them is their calibration because it makes them compatible with different cars. Also, this spark plug is factory gapped as well.
- FREE SHIPPING to anywhere IN USA and territories For This Item
- Better Performance
- Good Brand Name NGK
9) NGK 6619 Iridium Spark Plugs LFR6AIX-11
These are some of the best spark plugs around. They fit a wide range of vehicles, from BMW to Toyota. The NGK 6619 is durable, and they will make your engine performance better and more reliable. You won’t need to calibrate the spark plugs either.
- Iridium Spark Plugs
- Designed to operate over a much wider heat range than ordinary plugs
- Resists carbon buildup and pre-ignition
- Patented triple gasket sealing process eliminates the possibility of combustion gas leakage