Top 10 Fastest Hybrid Cars in the World
Hybrid cars have developed a reputation for being slow vehicles. Since they use an electric motor and battery to supplement some of its power, they are not able to move as fast without tapping into the gasoline power. This causes a lot of hybrid owners to do more in-town driving in order to remain eco-friendly. However, there are some car manufacturers looking to change all that.
Below is a list of the top 10 fastest hybrid cars in the world. These certainly aren’t the cheapest hybrid cars on the market. On the other hand, they certainly prove that hybrid technology has a lot of potential as far as speed is concerned.
Read also: Pros and Cons: Diesel vs Petrol Hybrid Cars
1) Porsche 918 Spyder – The Porsche 918 Spyder uses a lot more electricity to increase the performance of its V8 / 4.6-liter engine. In fact, it’s electrical power is so sufficient enough to where it could get the vehicle up to 62 miles per hour in 6.6 seconds without needing the engine at all.
2) McLaren P1 – The V8 / 3.8-liter gasoline engine in this hybrid, along with 2 turbochargers and electric motors, allows this beauty to have 903 horsepower and 719 pound-feet of torque. As a result, it can speed up to 62 miles per hour in about 2.8 seconds.
3) Ferrari LaFerrari – Ferrari is certainly known for their fast cars. Their LaFerrari hybrid can go up to 62 miles per hour in under 3 seconds. It features a V12 / 6.3-liter gasoline engine that generates 790 horsepower and electric motors which push this up to 950 horsepower. You could get this vehicle to move faster than 217 miles per hour if you really wanted to.
4) Honda NSX – This vehicle has a V6 / 3.5-liter gasoline engine and 3 electric motors to help it out. Two of these motors delivers energy to the 2 front wheels and the 3rd motor delivers energy to the petrol motor that is located in the back. This massive amount of power allows the car to have up to 600 horsepower. As a result, you can go up to 62 miles per hour in under 4 seconds.
5) BMW i8 – Features a 1.5-liter 3-cylinder turbocharged engine and an electric motor with 129 horsepower. This will give you a total of 367 horsepower and 420 torque. The BMW i8 is constructed with carbon fiber to make it a lighter weight. This allows it to go extra fast.
6) Infiniti Q50 Hybrid – The Infiniti Q50 features a V6 gasoline engine and an electric motor. This combination will provide you with 359 horsepower and the ability to travel from 0 to 62 miles per hour in just 5.1 seconds.
7) Porsche Panamera Hybrid – The Porsche Panamera is a lighter weight hybrid vehicle that is known for being very fuel efficient. It has the same powertrain found in the Porsche Cayenne vehicle on the list. It has no problem shooting up to 62 miles per hour in just under 5.9 seconds.
8) Lexus GS 450h – If you want to go 0 to 62 miles per hour in 5.9 seconds, then try the Lexus GS 450h. It features a 6-cylinder gasoline engine which can push the vehicle quickly in hybrid mode.
9) BMW 5 Series ActiveHybrid – The 6-cylinder turbocharged engine has 302 horsepower while the electric motor has 54 horsepower. If you drive for short periods of time, you can get up to 45 miles per hour just on electric power alone.
10) Porsche Cayenne – If you are only driving a short distance then you might like this hybrid. On electric-only mode, you can drive 22 miles on nothing but electricity. As for the speed, you can go from 0 to 62 miles per hour in just under 6 seconds.