The name of Hemi engines comes from Chrysler’s gasoline engines built with hemispherical combustion chambers. The combustion chamber can be called the heart of the engine and it is the place where the fuel mixture is burned. The main advantage of such an engine design is that it allows greater air intake which in turn generates highly mixed air fuel mixture and ultimately results in more power.
History indicates that there have been three types of Hemi engines named Chrysler Firepower and they have been built between 1951 and 1958, 1964 and 1971 and todays current generation beginning in 2003. The Hemi engines are series of I6 (straight-six engine) and V8 (eight-cylinder V configuration engine).
What makes this engine design feature unique is the fact that even at the beginning of its life, soon after World War 2, it was able to develop a speed of over 500 mph. This occurred when it was attached to an aircraft named the P-47 Thunderbolt. Engineers have always considered that such an engine best fits on racing cars due to the power it develops and the great thermal efficiency it provides.
- The Causes of a Car’s Brake Pedal Goes to the Floor
- The Meaning of Torque and Horsepower in the Cars
- 5 Parts of a Car Engine and their Functions
- Top 10 Best Tire Pressure Gauges for Your Vehicle
During its lifetime, it has been used on a lot of well-known vehicles, such as Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger, Plymouth Superbird, Dodge Challenger, but also on aircrafts, boats and other.
The advantages of Hemi engines:
- Powerful: due to their unique design, Hemi engines can develop more power than other types of engines
- Reliable: Hemi engines are well-known because they last in time and they can be reliable on long-term
- Enjoyable: It is much more enjoyable to drive a vehicle equipped with Hemi engines which allow great acceleration and that distinctive V8 sound.
- Heavy: Due to its design, the Hemi engine is heavier than other traditional engines
- Expensive: Hemi engines area more expensive engine, but this is something normal for an engine which generates more power than the other ones
- Not Fuel Efficient: Because of the power it generates, the engine is not fuel efficient and the gas mileage is not great
- Today Hemi has become more of a brand and a holy grail for collectors.
- The Hemi engine now comes equipped in a large variety of Chryslers current vehicles, from cars to trucks.
Nowadays, the Hemi engine is considered a great option for people who enjoy powerful cars. As the engine boosts the performance and it creates a sense of adventure during acceleration. The horsepower it generates, and the experience provided to the driver is unique and this is why this engine has such a long and varied history. Moreover, the vehicle drivers have usually been very satisfied with the performance this engine provides to the car and it is considered a pleasure to drive whether on winding back roads or wide-open highways.